Monday, December 12, 2005

Bernice Myers

If I were King, Bernice Myers' original illustrations from Les Quatre Musiciens (above) would be hanging on my walls. Alas, I only have samples pulled from the web to offer.

These scans are from voila le facteur! I love the old flower seller. She reminds me of a lady who sold flowers on my corner when I used to live in Richmond.

The First Book of Mexico, 1955. - with husband Lou Myers.

Sailing on a Very Fine Day, 1954 - with husband Lou Myers.

What can I say about the work of Bernice Myers... I love, love, love it! Some of her early work shown here was done in collaboration with her husband Lou Myers who recently died at the age of 90.
After the war, Mr. Myers returned to his job at Columbia, where he met his second wife, Bernice, a children's book illustrator. In 1952, they moved to Paris, where Mr. Myers also illustrated children's books and began drawing captionless cartoons for French magazines and newspapers. - from Lou Myers' obituary by STEVEN HELLER.
The bio clipping on the right is from the dust jacket to The First Book of Mexico. If you like this stuff please visit my flickr page where I have lots more samples of Bernice and Lou Myers work.

-- click on images for larger view.

2 Comments:

Blogger leifpeng said...

Another great post, Eric! I will make sure to plug it on TI. Myers work is new to me and I'm already in love with it - and her - that photo you pulled off that dust jacket is so charming, one can just imagine her working on these wonderful illustrations back in the day. Thanks!

12/12/2005 8:34 PM  
Blogger Mark McDonnell said...

AWESOME SITE MAN. Thank you soooo much for posting this stuff, it's incredible.

MAC

12/13/2005 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home