Sunday, January 08, 2006

Cliff Roberts

(click images for larger view)

Happy New Year gentle surfers! I'm sorry that it's been a while since my last post. So far the Baby New Year has brought a lot of good work my way, which in turn, has kept me away from the blog.

The above illustrations were some early work done by Cliff Roberts for FORD TIMES magazine. At a young age, Roberts did wildlife illustrations for FORD TIMES in the late 40s, before he went on to work in animation as a designer and writer. Roberts cites illustrator Jan Balet as an influence of his from this period. Leif Peng at Today's Inspiration has provided some great samples of Balet's work here. A few more samples of Roberts' FORD TIMES work can be found here.

Thanks to Amid Amidi at Cartoon Brew for pointing me in the direction to find Cliff Roberts' work and for providing an article about his career, written by Roberts in 1971.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg Scherrer said...

Wow! Beautiful stuff. Thanks for posting all these great artists I haven't seen. Your own work is great too. I'll be checking back often!

1/09/2006 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great punching in Cliff Roberts' name and finding some images I don't remember ever seeing. Thanks for honoring my dad with some space on your web. He would have been thrilled.
Jeff Roberts

12/19/2006 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! I really like the illustrators on your blog. I found it after looking for more of Cliff Roberts' work. Just saw an amazing book he illustrated ("Thomas the cat").
One of my favourite illustrators of all time is Fiep Westendorp. Do you know her?

2/01/2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just a little more info on these wonderful images. They accompanioed an article in the April 1949 edition of Ford Times, titled "Strange Beasts of the Border", by Oren Arnold.

10/20/2008 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home